The Toyota RAV4 is one of the most popular hybrid SUVs on the market today. With excellent fuel economy, ample cargo room, and loads of safety features, it’s easy to see why drivers continue choosing the RAV4 year after year. Within the RAV4 Hybrid lineup, two trims stand out: Toyota RAV4 Hybrid SE vs XLE.
These models offer an appealing blend of style, technology, and value. If you’re comparing the Toyota RAV4 XLE vs Se, keep reading to learn the critical differences between the two.
Exterior Styling and Dimensions of Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Se vs XLE
The Toyota RAV4 Hybrid SE vs XLE share the same exterior dimensions. Here are the measurements:
- Wheelbase: 105.9 inches
- Length: 180.9 inches
- Width: 73.0 inches
- Height: 67.0 inches
- Front track width: 63.0 inches
- Rear track width: 63.7 inches
With identical dimensions, both models provide the same passenger and cargo space. You get seating for up to five and 69.8 cubic feet of maximum cargo capacity with the rear seats folded.
Though the dimensions are equal, there are subtle styling differences between the two trims:
- Wheels: The SE rides on 18-inch multi-spoke black aluminum wheels, while the XLE has 17-inch 5-spoke light grey wheels. The SE’s wheels give it a sportier look.
- Exterior colors: You can choose from 7 different color options with the XLE and 6 options with the SE, with 4 shared colors between the two. The XLE offers a few more distinctive colors, like Lunar Rock and Ruby Flare Pearl.
- Headlights: Both models have LED headlights, but the SE upgrades to Bi-LED projector low and high beams for brighter illumination at night.
Beyond the wheels, colors, and headlights, the two models share all other exterior features like heated power mirrors, roof rails, and chrome exhaust tips. The SE trim aims for a slightly sportier, bolder look, while the XLE goes for understated elegance.
Interior Comfort, Convenience, and Cargo of Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Se vs XLE
The Toyota rav4 hybrid Xle vs Se provide comfortable and convenient interiors perfect for daily driving. Here are some of the shared interior features of rav4 se vs Xle:
- Seating: Soft-touch synthetic leather on the SE and woven fabric on the XLE
- Power-adjustable driver’s seat and manual front passenger seat
- 60/40 split-folding and reclining rear seats
- Climate Control: Dual-zone automatic climate control
- Storage: Center console, door pockets, cup holders, and bottle holders throughout
- Cargo Space: 69.8 cubic feet with rear seats folded, 37.5 cubic feet with rear seats up
- Technology: Digital speedometer, wireless Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, 8-inch touchscreen, and 5 USB ports
While the core features are the same, the SE does get some sporty upgrades:
- Blue accent stitching on the seats, shifter, and steering wheel
- Leather-trimmed steering wheel and shift knob
- Front centre vent flow controls for the climate system
So, the SE brings extra style to the interior without sacrificing any comfort or cargo practicality.
Safety Technology and Driver Assistance Features
The excellent safety ratings of the Toyota RAV4 Hybrid give drivers peace of mind. Both the SE vs Xle Rav4 come equipped with an extensive suite of active safety equipment.
Standard Toyota Safety Sense 2.5+ includes:
- Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection
- Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control
- Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist
- Automatic High Beams
- Lane Tracing Assist
- Road Sign Assist
Additional safety features:
- 8 airbags
- Blind Spot Monitor
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- Backup camera with dynamic gridlines
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- Hill Start Assist
- Trailer Sway Control
- Anti-lock Brakes and Electronic Brake-force Distribution
- Smart Stop Technology
- Vehicle Stability Control
With all of these advanced driver aids, both the SE vs XLE Rav4 make safety a priority. You can drive with confidence, knowing you have extensive protection in either model.
Powertrain and Fuel Economy
Powering every Toyota RAV4 Hybrid is an efficient powertrain combining electric motors and a 2.5L 4-cylinder gas engine. The total system output is 219 horsepower. The hybrid powertrain seamlessly switches between gas and electric power to optimize efficiency.
With this advanced hybrid system, the RAV4 Hybrid SE and XLE earn an EPA-estimated:
- 41 mpg city
- 38 mpg highway
- 40 mpg combined
This is a vast improvement over the gas-only RAV4, which gets only 27 mpg combined. Plus, you enjoy more powerful acceleration thanks to the electric motor’s instant torque.
Whether driving around town or on long road trips, you can rely on impressive fuel economy from either hybrid model. The powertrain performance is identical between the SE and XLE.
Pricing and Value Comparison
The MSRP for the 2023 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid SE starts at $32,920, while the RAV4 Hybrid XLE is priced at $31,735. That’s a difference of only $1,185 between the two trims.
Given the extra features included with the SE, like the larger wheels, sporty accents, and upgraded headlights, the small price premium provides good value. You get a more stylish and distinctive RAV4 Hybrid without breaking the bank.
When comparing MSRPs and standard equipment, the SE makes a strong case for offering more for your money. Test-driving both models will help finalize your decision.
Key Questions and Considerations
If you’re still weighing the RAV4 Hybrid SE versus the XLE, here are a few key questions to think over:
- Do you prefer sporty style or elegant looks? The black wheels and accents of the SE make it stand out, while the XLE flies more under the radar.
- Is fuel economy or performance more important? With the same powertrain, you’ll get excellent MPG and decent acceleration from either model.
- Do you need more cargo room or passenger space? With identical dimensions, both provide ample interior room for most buyers’ needs.
- Are you getting optional packages or upgrades? You may diminish the slight price difference between trims this way.
- Can you afford the SE’s slightly higher starting price? The minor increase may be worthwhile for the added features.
Considering these questions will help determine if the edgier SE or more conservative XLE better fits your wants and needs.
The Best SUV for You
For shoppers interested in the Toyota RAV4 Hybrid, you really can go right with either the SE or XLE trim. Both offer excellent fuel economy, abundant cargo space, and loads of safety tech.
The SE may be the way to go if you like its sportier styling touches and added features like the larger wheels, unique interior accents, and upgraded headlights. But the XLE still provides a refined, comfortable driving experience for slightly less.
By understanding the critical differences between the Rav4 Hybrid SE vs Xle, you’re better equipped to pick the perfect RAV4 for your lifestyle. Take test drives and do some comparison shopping to make sure you get the hybrid SUV that meets all your needs.
The Toyota RAV4 Hybrid SE vs XLE offer two great choices within the Toyota SUV lineup. With sporty styling, premium features, and fantastic fuel economy, the SE makes a compelling case for being worth the minor price increase over the XLE. But you can go right with either of these safe, efficient, and reliable hybrid models.
After going through this detailed trim comparison, RAV4 Hybrid shoppers have all the facts to make an informed decision between the Rav4 Hybrid SE vs Xle. Taking test drives of both versions can further solidify which is the right fit. No matter which you choose, you’ll love driving the Toyota RAV4 Hybrid every day.
Frequently Asked Questions about the RAV4 Hybrid SE and XLE
What is the main difference in styling between the RAV4 Hybrid SE and XLE?
The SE has 18-inch black wheels, unique interior blue stitching, and Bi-LED headlights, while the XLE has 17-inch grey wheels and more color options like Ruby Flare Pearl exterior paint.
Is the SE or XLE better in terms of performance?
Performance is equal between the two since they share the same hybrid powertrain. You’ll get 219 combined horsepower and 0-60 mph in around 8 seconds with either RAV4 Hybrid model.
How much more expensive is the RAV4 Hybrid SE compared to the XLE?
The SE only costs about $1,185 more than the XLE. Given its extra features, the SE offers good value for the money over the XLE.
Which RAV4 Hybrid trim has more driver-assist and safety features?
The SE and XLE have all the same Toyota Safety Sense 2.5+ technology and safety equipment. You’ll be equally protected in either hybrid SUV.
Are the SE or XLE more comfortable and family-friendly?
With the same passenger and cargo dimensions, both the SE and XLE provide excellent comfort and versatility for families. There’s ample room in either trim.